STUDENT SERVICES NEWS
April 27, 2018
The next SAT test date is June 2, 2018. Glenelg High School is a test site for this date. The regular registration deadline is May 3, 2018. Sign up by this date to avoid a late fee. Register on-line at sat.org/register
COLLEGE 101 – MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM HIGH SCHOOL TO COLLEGE FOR STUDENTS WITH IEPS AND 504S
Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:00-9:00pm
Howard Community College
Duncan Hall, Room 100
Do you have a high school student with an IEP or 504 heading to college, or planning college for the future? Bring your student and join us for this informative evening that will prepare you both for navigating the new world of college. It’s never too early to start planning! Topics include:
⦁ Accommodations and supports provided in a college setting
⦁ Advocating for yourself
⦁ Exploring technology to support academic success, including tools to for organization and note taking
Sponsored by Howard Community College Project Access and HCPSS Family Support & Resource Center. Registration is appreciated but not required, please call 410 313-7161.
Three out of four people using heroin began with the use of prescription medication.
Drug Take Back Day in Howard County
Saturday, April 28 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
Dispose of your unwanted or expired medications at HC DrugFree’s one-day, convenient drive-thru drop-off location (accepting medication, needles, syringes & EpiPens)
Wilde Lake Village Center parking lot 5305 Village Center Drive, Columbia near The UPS Store and swim center
For details, go to www.hcdrugfree.org 443-325-0040
HCPSS Employees Invited to Present their Child's Diploma
Students Who Don't Want to Participate in Graduation Must Give Written Notice to Mr. Burton
1. HCPSS employees who are parents or legal guardians of graduating seniors invited to present your child’s diploma.
2. Notification to Principal of students who will not participate in Graduation Ceremony
1. If you work for the Howard County Public School System in any capacity, we invite you to present your child’s diploma at Glenelg High School’s 2018 Commencement Ceremony.
This involves several easy steps:
(1) Talk with your senior to make a joint decision that you will hand the diploma to him/her.
(2) Complete and return the form below to Mrs. Wagoner, Principal’s Secretary, or submit information in an email (Tenille_Wagoner@hcpss.org).
(3) Review an email that will be sent prior to graduation day which will provide specific information regarding the ceremony. A staff member will be assigned to take you through your role when you arrive at the Pavilion.
(4) Enjoy your special moment!
If you wish to take advantage of this special opportunity, please return this form to Mrs. Wagoner by
Friday, May 4, 2018.
My senior, ___________________________________________________________, and I agree that I will
(Print graduate’s name)
present his/her diploma at the commencement ceremony. I understand that I must arrive 30 minutes prior to the
ceremony to be greeted backstage by a school staff member who will direct me to the right place at the right
Parent Name (print) _______________________________________________________
I work at/in _____________________________________________________________
(Name of school or office)
Confirmation email address: _______________________________________________
2. Do you have to participate in graduation?
Participation in graduation is optional. If you choose not to participate in the Graduation Ceremony, a written request from your parent or guardian must be received by Mr. Burton, Principal, prior to
Friday, May 4, 2018.